If you are sexually active, regular screening for sexually transmitted disease and infection is one of the most important things you can do to protect your health.
It’s also important to your partner’s health. In many cases, someone infected with a sexually transmitted disease (STD) may not even know it because they aren’t showing any symptoms. If left untreated, an STD can be spread to others and may lead to infertility.
That’s where StarMed Healthcare can help.
We offer confidential STD screening and treatment. StarMed wants to keep you healthy, and at the same time help remove the stigma attached to STDs.
Patients often feel ashamed, angry, or embarrassed when they’re diagnosed with an STD, which is often referred to as an STI (sexually transmitted infection). But, with proper treatment, most STDs have few major health impacts. Most are treatable and some are curable (although not all).
Another reason you shouldn’t feel stigmatized – STDs are more widespread in this country than you may realize.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that:
- 1 in 5 people in the U.S. have an STI, totaling nearly 68 million infections.
- There were 26 million new STIs in 2018 (the most recent year data was collected).
- Almost half of new STIs were among youth aged 15-24.
- New STIs total nearly $16 billion in direct medical costs.
It is recommended that you undergo an STI screening if:
- You have a new sexual partner.
- You are having unprotected sex.
- You are engaging in high-risk sexual behavior.
- You are exhibiting symptoms.
If you test positive for an STI, you can work with a StarMed Healthcare provider to get the correct treatment. Some STIs can be cured with the right medication. For those that aren’t curable, there are treatments available.
For more information on sexually transmitted diseases, or to schedule an appointment for a screening or treatment, contact StarMed Family & Urgent Care. All tests are 100% confidential.