Spring is in the air! Unfortunately, this means allergy-causing pollen is too. While spring brings the excitement of warmer days ahead, for many people, that excitement is quickly quelled with itchy eyes, runny noses, headaches, and wishing you appreciated the ability to breathe out of both nostrils while you were able to. Read on to hear our top tips and tricks to preventing and relieving pesky allergy symptoms this spring.
Why Are Allergies Worse In The Spring?
The biggest cause of spring allergies is pollen. Trees, weeds, and grasses release pollen into the air to fertilize other plants which causes it to get into our eyes and nose. When pollen enters the body, it’s mistakenly recognized as a danger to our immune system which puts our bodies into defense mode. The immune system releases antibodies to attack the allergens and releases chemicals called histamines into our blood. These histamines are what cause those annoying symptoms like runny nose, itchy eyes, and all the other bothersome symptoms you know all too well if you’re an allergy sufferer.
Pollen isn’t the only allergy trigger though. You know the saying “April showers bring May flowers”? Well those showers cause mold growth both inside and outside of your home which is a common allergy trigger as well. Even worse, that urge to spring clean stirs up dust mites in your home. Feels like you can’t win, right?
How to Prevent Allergies This Spring
Allergy symptoms might feel like an uphill battle, but you can fight them proactively before you’re at the point of being terrified of the outdoors.
- Wash bed linens weekly
- Check local pollen counts to limit time outside when pollen counts are high
- Keep windows closed and use allergy-friendly filters on air conditioning units
- Remove your shoes before entering the house
- Wear sunglasses to prevent pollen from entering your eyes
- Vacuum your floors at least once a week
- Wear a dust mask when you’re mowing the lawn
- Keep lawn grass and garden grass cut short
How to Relieve Allergies This Spring
So you tried methods to prevent allergies and you’re still left wondering what life was like without itchy eyes. If you’re suffering from allergy symptoms, try these tips for relief!
- Saline spray and rinses such as a Neti Pot
- Eye drops that relieve redness and itching
- Antihistamines like Benadryl and Claritin
- Oral Decongestants like Sudafed
- Steam treatments: Hold your head over a warm bowl of water and place a towel over your head to trap the steam. The warm steam can help to clear congestion and sooth your nasal passages.
If you’ve tried over the counter remedies and are still suffering, it might be time to see a medical professional. The qualified healthcare professionals at StarMed Family & Urgent Care are here to help you and no appointment is needed! Walk-ins are always welcome and we’re open 365 days a year. Don’t let allergies prevent you from enjoying the beautiful weather this spring!